Before and after

The thing is done.

Exactly five months to the day after it was begun, the remodel of our kitchen is complete. Our contractor came over on a Thursday to place the vent cover. Barely 15 minutes later he got up, dusted off his hands, and said, “well, that’s it.”

“Well, that’s kind of anticlimactic, isn’t it? I was expecting a bit more fanfare,” I said.

He laughed. “Well, to be honest, I was expecting that the vent cover wouldn’t fit.” He almost seemed disappointed that it did fit. After all, we’d been in each other’s lives for five months, and it was drawing to a close.

“I was thinking I should open a bottle of champagne, but it seems a bit early for that.”

I could see his eyes crinkling up in a smile over his mask. “Well, I guess that depends on how you want the rest of your day to go.”

He went out to his truck and brought back a small package, a handmade salad server set in a beautiful dark wood. “I remembered that you liked Ken’s work,” he said. Ken is a local wood turner whose work I’ve admired. I found out he was our contractor’s neighbor when I showed him a cutting board I’d bought from him at the home and garden show. Such a thoughtful gift.

After he left, I cleaned off countertops, Windexed windows and glass doors, and took some photos of the finished product. So, without further ado, I present the before and after of...

THE KITCHEN




























 Somebody feels right at home...

So....I guess that means it's time to review some projects I haven't yet blogged about, and start a new project or two!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carpet vs. Hardwood—Adventures in Flooring (and a little painting too!)

The dangers of home improvement